As the summer event season starts to kick into high gear, we know it can be a little daunting to keep up with the latest social media trends to keep your event fresh and relevant as it competes for your customers’ attention this summer. Here are 5 goals you should try to accomplish this event season.
1) Ensure your social media links are clearly displayed on your website. As people search for information about your event or venue they will inevitably find themselves on your site. Make it easy for them to link seamlessly between that and your Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram accounts, etc. Use the standard icons that are easily recognizable by almost everyone, and display them prominently near the top of every page.
2) Create a specific #hashtag for your event and encourage your volunteers, performers, sponsors, student organizations (4-H, FFA, etc.), scholarship winners, and any supporters to use it as often as possible. #Hashtags are now used in Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, allowing customers to see all content that shares that same unique identifier. This makes it easy to find everything being said about your event with a simple click.
3) Give Instagram a try. I know what you’re thinking, “not another account to keep track of,” but as Instagram gains popularity with teens and young adults it’s a great way to get visual content from your event or venue out there to generate excitement and desire to attend. Perhaps more importantly, it easily sends images & videos to your Facebook & Twitter accounts so posting to Instagram can automatically generate content for your other social media sites at the same time. And, it’s actually pretty fun! Just keep in mind everything crops to a true square shape, so leave some space on the edges of your pictures to allow for cropping.
4) Take some videos! According to MarketingProfs, 76% of marketers say they plan to use online video but only 23% of national brands are actually currently acting on it. With smartphones today, taking videos couldn’t be easier, and with apps like Vine and Instagram, sharing these videos on your social media sites is a breeze! For some quick video tips, check out Social Media Examiner’s suggestions for Instagram Video.
5) Keep the conversation alive! You probably have your smartphone on you at all times, right? So there’s really no excuse to not interact with your customers where they are already spending their time. Set up your event’s social media accounts on your phone to be able to quickly answer questions and comments and to post photos, videos and news throughout your event. While it’s often difficult to calculate the actual ROI on social media, it’s hard to deny that establishing a personal connection with your customers will increase their loyalty with your event.